The PREMIO ARCHIMEDE 2008 goes to
LORENZO IL MAGNIFICO by PAOLO MORI
Premio Archimede 2008
by Paolo Mori (Parma)
by Walter Obert (Piossasco - TO)
by Alex Saragosa (Terranova Bracciolini - AR)
by Virgilio Gigli (Roma)
by Alimberto A. Torri (Pisa)
by Simone Luciani and Paolo Mori (Fermo - Parma)
by Simone Luciani (Fermo)
COMPAGNIE DI VENTURA
by David Zanotto (Rosà - VI)
by Brett J. Gilbert (Cambridge - UK)
by Pier Volontè (Saronno - VA)
by Simone Luciani (Fermo)
by Fabrizio Angeletti (Roma)
VICES & VIRTUES
by Patrick Christenson (Austin, Texas - USA)
by Pietro Vozzolo (Terni)
by Riccardo Foches (Sopramonte - TN)
Special Prize Carta Mundi to the best card game
PORTOBELLO ROAD by Simone Luciani (Fermo)
Special Prize Focus Brain Trainer
TRIPLE by Paolo Durighello (Padova)
Special Prize “Sebastiano Izzo”
ESAGON by Alimberto A. Torri (Pisa)
Special Prize Winning Moves
STRADA ROMANA by Walter Obert (Piossasco - TO)
• Niek Neuwahl Presidente
• Giuseppe Baggio
• Giuseppe Baù
• Alfredo Berni
• Leo Colovini
• Marco Maggi
• Francesco Nepitello
• Gigi Pescolderung
• Carlo A. Rossi
• Dario Zaccariotto
• Alessandro Zucchini
• Niek Neuwahl Presidente
• Silvio De Pecher
• Dario De Toffoli
• Paolo Fasce
• Mauro Gaffo
• Giorgia Pandolfo
• Ennio Peres
• Ulrich Schaedler
International special guests:
• Michael Bruinsma (Phalanx, Olanda)
• Mike Gray (Hasbro, USA)
• Dieter Strehl (Piatnik, Austria)
• Philip Sprick (Ravensburger, Germania)
• Albrecht Werstein (Zoch, Germania)
4PRESIDENT Marco Generali and Giovanni Eccher
ABUKIR Agostino Giordano
ACHTUNG! BANDITI! Marco Voltolina
AMONGST THIEVES Brett J. Gilbert
ART MERCHANTS Gianluca Poletti
BENNY’S HORSES B and S Cuicchi
BEREZINA Pietro Vozzolo
BREETANE Paolo Pellegri
BROKERS Furio Ferri
CACCIA AL QUADRO Francesco and Michela Berardi
CAST DOWN Agostino Giordano
COMPAGNIE DI VENTURA David Zanotto
COPAN Fabrizio Angeletti
DADINCROCIATI Signoretto Nazareno
DE AVIUM NATURA Francesco Frittelli
DELFI Pietro Vozzolo
DYREX Giovanni Zucchi
EGIZIA Virginio Gigli
ESAGON Alimberto A. Torri
EUPHRATES Edward C.Volkert
EXPO Pier Volonté
FAIRY POWER Antonino Calogero
FLY AWAY Daniele Ferri
FRANA Giuseppe Bonfiglio
FUGA DALLA SCUOLA Prof. Pizzardi and the scholars of Class 2C
FULL BATHTUB Michael Feldkoetter
GALACTICA Lorella Villani
GALAXY SYSTEM (wars) Paolo Durighello
GIRO M. Luis Fernando
HOPPLA KROKODIL Jürgen Elias
IL CAMPIONE Fabio Chiarello
IL FURTO DELLA STELLA DI DAFNE Gianluca Colantoni
ITZAMA Riccardo Foches
JIVARO Mario Biscella e Giorgio Villa
KEBEC Pietro Vozzolo
KRIAS Luca Borsa e Cristina Moregola
LA PODESTERIA DI CASTELFRANCO VENETO Massimiliano Dartora and Franco Marchiori
LE POLPETTE ASSASSINE Marco Stefanni
LORENZO IL MAGNIFICO Paolo Mori
LOST CITY Marco Pozzi
LUPO Agnese Minuto
M’AMA, NON M’AMA Antonio Scrittore
NIMEN Alessandro Grande
NITHYE Carlo Donadio
NURAGHE Simone Luciani
ORO! Antonio Scrittore
PLEIADE W. Falciatore
PORTOBELLO ROAD Simone Luciani
PRIVACY! Claudio Oliviero
PROVINCIA ROMANA S. Luciani and P. Mori
SALOON Chicco Tramezzani and Ercole Telazzi
SCARECROWS Paolo Porfiri
SPAGHETTI CONNECTION Fabio Chiarello
SPLATFORM Cristiano Sili
STRADA ROMANA Walter Obert
SUEVOZ Renato Bordin
SURENCHèRE – OVERBID Michel Pinon
SUSHI BAR Daniele P. Correale
SYMPHONY Daniele P. Correale & W. Obert
TESEO Pietro D’Errico
TIMBUCTU Alex Saragosa
TRIPLE Paolo Durighello
VICES & VIRTUES Patrick Christenson
WHITE RIVER Fabrizio Angeletti
NOTICE OF COMPETITION
PREMIO ARCHIMEDE 2008, organized by studiogiochi, concerns the invention of board games.
The Prize is dedicated to the great Alex Randolph, who was the President of this competition during the first seven editions.
Everybody can participate, there are no age nor nationality limits.
The authors must be non-professionals (this means that the activity of inventing games can’t be their main occupation and they must not be well known in the international scene). The authors can participate either as a single person or as a group.
The Prize is supported by the patronage of the Comune di Venezia and the J.P. Halvah Foundation (founded by the very same Randolph and directed by Herbert Feuerstein). The Foundation offers a support of € 3.500 to the winners, in form of study trips, stages, contributions for the publication, etc.
The official magazine for the competition is Focus Brain Trainer.
Besides the Archimede Award, the jury will assign the Special Award Sebastiano Izzo and many other Awards such as:
• Winning Moves Special Trophy, for the best family strategic game. The winner game will be exposed at the Winning Moves stand, during the fair of Essen 2008.
• Carta Mundi Special Trophy for the best card game: Carta Mundi will produce for free 1.000 copies of the best card game of the PREMIO ARCHIMEDE and it will present it to the winner; the game will need to have one or two decks and it will be produced with its rules and its case; the graphics will be realized for free by the ScriBabs, that published the winner game of the previous year.
To participate, please send a prototype of the game within the 30th of July 2008 to:
PREMIO ARCHIMEDE 2008
S. Polo 3083
The Prize has a promotional structure and is a non profit event. The members of the jury will work basically as volunteers. The authors are required to give a participation fee of € 25 for each game, to be sent with the prototype. This fee is ment to support a part of the organization costs.
For the payment, please attach to the rules a non-transferable cheque to studiogiochi or else an international postal cheque. There will be a participation certificate for each admitted game, indicating the day of the presentation of the game.
The final ceremony will take place in Venice during the Fall of 2008, in collaboration with the Faculty of arts and design IUAV of Venice. Besides a memorial to Alex Randolph, there will be various meetings, expositions and workshops.
The associations that participate to the event will recieve informations about the games competing and will be able to take a look at them.
The authors may recollect their prototypes during the final ceremony; all the non recollected prototypes won’t be returned.
The Prize is also supported by the cooperation of the Musée Suisse du Jeu (Swiss Museum of games) that will organize an exposition of the final games.
All the games will need the requirements below.
Without these requirements they won’t be allowed to finalize the competition.
– Has to be original and unpublished.
– Can’t last more than 90 minutes.
– Have to be typewritten (typewriter or computer) in italian and/or english.
– Have to be easy to understand and exhaustive (including the indication of the contents of the material and the number of players). The jury must not have a hard time understanding them.
– Can’t be written in more than 10.000 characters.
– Needs to be contained in a solid cardboard box similar to the games oficially produced. The box has to be easy to open, but also well closed. It must be easy to carry, not too heavy and not bigger than aproximately 40x30x10 cm.
– It has to be functional. For instance the pawns have to be able to stand easily, the spaces have to be enough big, the cards must not be too thin, the colours have to be easy to identify, etc.
– It is not necessary to be presented as a final version, the graphic aspect comes after its use.
– The pieces of the game have to be wrapped separately in order to make it easy to get ready for the game.
– If necessary, the board has to be folded to fit into the box.
– The organization is not responsable for any loss or damage to the prototype during the event.
On the box and on the rules there must be the name of the game, the name and surname of the authors, their full address, telephone number, and eventually e-mal address.
Advice: Before you send the game, let it be played by the testers without giving any help by explaining the rules and observe how it is been played! That way you will know how you can refine your “creature”.
EVALUATION STANDARDS FOR THE GAMES
The jury will consider the games accordingly to the following features (in order of importance):
– Originality of the game mechanisms.
– Playability, balance and functionality of the mechanisms.
– Interaction of the players.
– The possibility that the game will be taken into consideration from editors to be published.
– Theme coherence.
– Quality of the prototype.